Saturday, April 13, 2024

Interview with Director Mina JafriMalik

Mina JafriMalik is a former model, actor, director, and producer. She is the founder of Audio Visual Alchemy, which was established for the main purpose of producing documentaries and short films concerning socioeconomic and human rights issues.

IMDB PAGE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Hello Mina, it's a pleasure to have you with us for this interview. Congratulations on your ‘Best Documentary’, ‘Best Producer’ and ‘Best First Time Director’ awards at last January's edition of the “Rome International Movie Awards” (click HERE).
Your new project is “The Asifa Bano story”: in a few words, what is it about?

A. This project is about the horrific, heart-breaking ordeal an innocent 8-year-old girl endured at the hands of law enforcement officers and a religious community leader.

Q. Why did you decide to make a documentary on this subject?
A. It is an important story that needed to be told and heard across the world, not just for little Asifa and her family’s sake, but for all the little girls who remain in danger and are vulnerable to the same threats Asifa was.


Q. What got you into the film production industry? Have you ever received any formal training in this area?
A. I started off in the entertainment industry as a model and actress at a young age, which started a lifelong love and passion for the camera, be it in front or behind the screen. I haven’t had any formal training in direction and am learning as I go along, but I can’t imagine myself doing anything else.

Q. Before "The Asifa Bano story", what can you tell us about your film?
A. This is my first official project and it has been not just a labor of love but also of intense heartache and anguish. It was both disturbing and frustrating to learn what Asifa and her family went through.

Q. What kind of director do you describe yourself as a director?
A. A director who is also a journalist and wants to tell stories that matter and will make a difference.

Q. Directors (and indeed actors) who inspire you?
A. Keanu Reeves has an amazing attitude with a wonderful work ethic and really inspires me. Michael Moore tells incredible stories about things that matter, doing so fearlessly, and I aspire to do the same.


Q. Your favourite movies? And of course, films you really deplore?
A. My favorite movie of all time is "47 Ronin" and favorite documentary is "Fahrenheit 11/9". I have not yet seen a film that I did not learn something from, so no truly deplorable ones.

Q. Where can people see your work?
A. They can find me on "Facebook" (HERE), "Instagram" (HERE) and "X" (HERE).

Q. Do you have anything you want to share?
A. I would just like to thank everyone who has helped in any way with this project, whether it be during its inception, production, or postproduction. And, in advance, I would like to thank all those watching for giving their time to learn what happened to sweet little Asifa. And of course, the film festivals who have afforded such an amazing platform to share Asifa’s story. My deepest appreciation and gratitude.
This project is dedicated to my aunt who was like a mother to me, my sweet Mami. She always supported my dreams and believed in me. I hope that she is up there, smiling down and proud of what I have been able to accomplish.

Q. Thank you for this very inspiring interview, Mina. Here at the “Rome International Movie Awards” we look forward to seeing and appreciating your new film productions!

No comments:

Post a Comment