Saturday, March 12, 2022

Interview with Director Sam Iwata

Former M&C Saatchi in-house Director as well as Head of TV Content department (2013-2019). Founder of 38pro Film Ltd., as Writer-Director. With over 20 years of experience within the market in Japan as well as China for both international, local clients for experiences to include working with celebrities across the globe such as Cindy Crawford, Nicole Kidman, Karlie Kloss, Alessandra Ambrosio, Manny Pacquiao, Kimura Takuya, Maggie Cheung, Gao Yuen Yuen, Yang Mi, Zhou Xun, Zhang Zi Yi and so forth.

IMDB PAGE 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Hello Sam, it’s a big pleasure to have you with us for this interview.
Congratulations on your ‘Best Mystery’ and ‘Best First Time Director’ awards at last December’s edition of the “Rome International Movie Awards” (click HERE
). Your new project is “Metempsychosis”: in a few words, what is it about?
A. I most certainly am graciously thankful, feeling blessed with an opportunity and a glorifying honor to have received awards from "Rome International Movie Awards", based on our short film "Metempsychosis". The summary of the film evolves around an actress who continuously suffers from the same tragic nightmare of a former homicide case, realizing of being the victim in reality, being the logline.

Q. What can you tell us about the shoot as such, and the on-set atmosphere? Was it difficult to find the right collaborators and, above all, a cast who could translate your cinematographic vision into acting and images?
A. Upon being asked by a friend to collaborate on a "48 Hour Film Project", based on one of my stories, we substantially achieved within 48 hours with a remarkable budget of under USD630.
By confining a featured-length story into a 7 minute short film, being an honor to modestly present the produced masterpiece with phenomenal DNA, which we were disqualified by the mismatch of the genre.
I believe the entire crew and cast projected my vision while following a specific set of directions toward the success of this film, as I portrayed my concepts among team members in order for the status of the result today to take place. A big shout out to my writing partner, my nephew Michael Shih, my soul brothers DOP AK LiangJun Zha, 1st AD Hayden Hsu. Thank you all for your continuous and endless support.

Q. What got you into filmmaking in the first place, and did you receive any formal training on the subject?
A. I can still recall and trace back to my childhood days when my father asked me who I wish to become in the future. The response as one of my top 3 wishes was to become one of those people in the "Black Box", as I pointed to the old CRT television.
Ever since, my father splurged me to cinemas for quite a few great films, which greatly inspired me to become an international writer-director. I Love You, Dad!  Wish you are enjoying your life in heaven since a few years back, truly wishing to share with you my appreciation for who I am today, where you made my dream possible.

Q. What can you tell us about your filmwork prior to “Bizzarro e Fantastico”?
A. My career initiated as an account executive in a British "4A Global Advertising Agency" being "M&C Saatchi Shanghai", where I eventually became the department head of TV Content upon coming across my mentor, Director WuHei, a well-known commercial director from Hong Kong who is now officially retired in New York City. Obtaining from such an exquisite mentor regarding the basic fundamentals of directing, he sculpted me into a sophisticated individual. Years later, I resigned from my stable job to become an established TV Commercial Director.  However, through a number of incidents, I realized my dream is to become an International Writer-Director in movies, which I am in the process of transitioning the aim of my adventurous journey toward a whole new world.

Q. Any future projects you’d like to share? 
A.Within recent months, me and my writing partner, my nephew Michael Shih accomplished a feature screenplay on a diverse topic in Sports Drama, as we are now aiming on converting the short film "Metempsychosis" into a full-length thriller screenplay. Although with limited experiences, we are extremely fortunate for our knowledge to expand rapidly for the discovery of our work of art being recognized among many professional talents.

Q. How would you describe yourself as a director?
A. Honestly speaking, I was not the most inspiring director, being hot-tempered and egocentric. Until I sparked by recalling my mentor's teaching, in order to be a professionalist while knowing how to be a great "PERSON" underneath is of great importance, which was buried elsewhere. With implemented adjustments accordingly fine-tuned my personality and characteristics, I''m able to convey who I truly am: a spiritual, peaceful and especially an inspiring writer-director with solidly strong visions while also simultaneously being an exceptionally good listener for all suggestions to be advantageous on benefiting the film itself.


Q. Directors (and indeed actors) who inspire you?
A. I do deeply respect actors such as Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, etc. In other words, I have been fondly in love with movies for the longest time while not worshiping any individuals. As long as the movie consists of an attractive story, I will undoubtedly watch the movie repeatedly over and over again. However, if I have to name one director, it will be Kurosawa Akira, who he once said in his interview, "IF YOU WANT TO BE A GREAT DIRECTOR, BE A GREAT SCREENWRITER". This allows me to study and become a writer-director nowadays.

Q. Your favourite movies? And of course, films you really deplore?
A. There are a variety of favourable movies in history in which I cannot name them all, but I am extremely keen of movies such as "God Father", "Rocky", "Lethal Weapon" and "Matrix". I will definitely turn to "Jerry Maguire", especially when reaching a depressing condition in my career, as the movie comforts and soothes my emotional state.


Q. Where can people see your work?

A. The best place to view my work is on "Vimeo" (HERE), "Instagram" (HERE) and "Twitter" (HERE).

Q. Thank you for this very inspiring interview, Sam. Here at the “Rome International Movie Awards” we look forward to seeing and appreciating your new film productions!
A. Once again, being positively emotional for such an astounding opportunity to be the proud winner of 'Best Mystery' and 'Best First Time Director' awards of "Rome International Movie Awards" in December 2021 on "Metempsychosis". Even though I am originally from the commercial world, I find myself in a brand-new fascinating world of films, where I certainly believe for the journey of my learning path still being long up ahead to continuously enhance skills and techniques to capture further opportunities on earning recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment